Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia save game system vs. Penumbra
ajvitaly Offline

Threads: 12
Amnesia save game system vs. Penumbra

The one aspect of Penumbra I didn't particularly care for was the save game system. I think most of us can agree that trying to tackle the save game dilemma without eliminating the suspense and thrill from horror games can be tricky and difficult.

I can understand the desire to not include quick save options in this type of game, so I was curious as to what you guys are thinking about doing. I'm sure that auto saves upon entering new areas or attaining an objective are going to be in the game, but has anyone given thought to auto-saving whenever the player quits the game? This could go great along side auto-saving at specific points in the game. That way progress is never lost when someone has to leave the game and in the case where the player quits just before or during death, there is always the other auto-save that triggered at the last checkpoint.
11-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Amnesia save game system vs. Penumbra

I think there was a blog post on the saving system of Penumbra.
Indeed it is a hard matter to tackle. I think they should structure the game with saving locations so that you never go too far without saving and never will have to redo something hard if you die. I can't think of any game that has too many savepoints, but I'm guessing they shouldn't add savepoints everywhere though.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
11-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Nothing is 100% yet, but we are trying to cut down on saves as much as possible and to not make it apart of the gameplay (meaning that the players shall never notice it unless they die or resume a session).

And about the save at exit. It might already be in the game Wink
11-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Find
ajvitaly Offline

(11-12-2009, 05:10 PM)Thomas Wrote: Nothing is 100% yet, but we are trying to cut down on saves as much as possible and to not make it apart of the gameplay (meaning that the players shall never notice it unless they die or resume a session).

And about the save at exit. It might already be in the game Wink

That's great! I think "checkpoints" (after completing a puzzle and/or entering a new area for the first time) along with auto save on exit is the best strategy for any non-shooting first person game.
11-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

I´m not sure about auto-saving when quitting... if it is in, I think it should be optional, i.e. if you choose to quit/exit a prompt "Save game? Y/N" pops up.

I mean, if I quit a game just before dying, I´d be a bit irritated if it overwrote old progress. I mean, if I quit, then start the game and end up dying... and then having to reload to an earlier save.

Well, that´s just my two cents...
12-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Find
ajvitaly Offline

(12-05-2009, 06:52 PM)spukrian Wrote: I´m not sure about auto-saving when quitting... if it is in, I think it should be optional, i.e. if you choose to quit/exit a prompt "Save game? Y/N" pops up.

I mean, if I quit a game just before dying, I´d be a bit irritated if it overwrote old progress. I mean, if I quit, then start the game and end up dying... and then having to reload to an earlier save.

Well, that´s just my two cents...

That is why i said auto-saves on exit have to exist along side auto-saving at specific points during game play - such as unlocking new area to explore, solving puzzles, etc.
12-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Find