Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Computer RPGs
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
RE: Computer RPGs

(01-18-2010, 02:03 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote: But has anyone mentioned Baldurs gate?

Dunno, but it's a true classic. Cool

Wasn't it an early title by BioWare ? I can't remember...

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
01-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

Yep, Bioware production. And great fun too.

Not an image
01-19-2010, 01:37 AM
Find
Akong Offline

Threads: 1

I've grown out of RPGs lately. Whether it's due to simply growing weary of it or the declining state of RPGs, I'm not sure. I used to be the biggest fan of all things RPG, fervently defending the label from MMOs Hack 'n' Slash and other such nonsense, but I just don't get the same feeling anymore. Nowadays, I'll be more content with a linear game that tells a good story, than a half-assed RPG trying to ram in as many sidequests and alternate plotlines as possible. Don't get me wrong, I like things like Mass Effect and Dragon Age and... do anyone but Bioware make RPGs anymore?

There is a problem with this quest for open-endedness that developers have semmed to take upon themselves. Take for example Oblivion. Not a very good game. The abundance of quests doesn't make up for the lack of story and the blandness of the world. Sure the landmass may be that of a small country, but 3/4 of it is absolute nothingness (That's actually a real word? I never knew.).

Some of my fondest memories are from playing games like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and my personal favorite, Arcanum, but they don't hold the same superiority as they used to, for me at least. I do find myself tending towards games with RPG features (inventory, customization, crafting), mostly because I enjoy creating my own things and my own character. Nevertheless, professional writers will almost always be better at telling a story than I am.

Edit: also Baldur's Gate wasn't strictly a Bioware title. It was developed by Black Isle, of which members formed Bioware when they were dissolved. Many of them also joined a little studio called Troika which went on to develop Arcanum and Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, but also dissolved and now are split between developers like Bioware and Obsidian. If I recall correctly, that is.
02-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

Baldur's was developed by BioWare, but it was produced and distributed by Black Isle, as at the time, Black Isle's parent company Interplay owned all the D&D rights. Now I believe Atari has the D&D rights.

Troika was formed by the Black Isle members who left after making the first FallOut (around 1998 I think). That´s why people in Arcanum say "You mean the Black Isle?" when you ask them of the Isle of Despair.

Obsidian was formed by the rest of the Black Isle members, who were fired when Interplay got into financial trouble (back in 2004 I think).

At the moment, I´m playing Icewind Dale 2. Damn, that game is difficult.
02-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Find
Akong Offline

Threads: 1

(02-28-2010, 08:12 PM)spukrian Wrote: Baldur's was developed by BioWare, but it was produced and distributed by Black Isle, as at the time, Black Isle's parent company Interplay owned all the D&D rights. Now I believe Atari has the D&D rights.
Looks like I got schooled. Oh well, I'll be back with a vengeance for round 2. But seriously, thanks for clearing that up.
02-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Find