Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Blank screen after opening cutscenes
Deathward Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Blank screen after opening cutscenes

Heres my situation:
Im running Xubuntu 9.10
Have 2GB ram
Integrated Graphics card (256MB)

Im into scary games and such, so when I heard about Penumbra, I HAD TO HAVE IT. I saw the minimal system requirements so I decided to give The Overture demo a shot.
It installed just fine, and I started the demo. Went to new game and watched the amazing intro cutscene. Then everything went blank, and I couldent do anything. I waited for about 10 minutes until I had to shut off my PC (Keyboard and mouse were unresponsive).

In hopes there was a technical difference, I loaded up Black Plague. Install just fine, and when I stated playing, it give me an option to try a tutorial, and IT WORKED! No lag what-so-ever, and I was running it with the default settings. No graphical glitches or anything. So I decided to try the actual game. I watched the cutscene which summed up the events of Overture, then same problem. Blank black screen forcing me to hard-boot my PC.

So heres my problem:

I know the games can run on my PC, yet when I try to start the campaign, it Freezes up.

Is there any sort of settings I need to configure?

Ive had similar problems with games in WINE, where it would only show a blank screen after the menu and loading. The way I fixed it was running a virtual window, which, incidentally, fixed it. So is there a way I can run it windowed and see if it works?
12-21-2009, 05:46 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Blank screen after opening cutscenes

What integrated graphics card is it? You can try and search for a newer driver or find an alternate driver to use. You can also try to lower the graphics settings and see if that helps, turn off effects and such.
12-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Website Find
Deathward Offline

Threads: 1

(12-21-2009, 09:00 AM)jens Wrote: What integrated graphics card is it? You can try and search for a newer driver or find an alternate driver to use. You can also try to lower the graphics settings and see if that helps, turn off effects and such.

"Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics" Is what the terminal gives me. I already tried running it on lowest setting and turning off all the extra features. Nothing. I dont think its my card, since its able to run the tutorial just fine. Is there another cutscene after the intro?

Also, can I window the application?
12-24-2009, 04:04 AM
Find
Savior Offline

Threads: 0

Same as http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3433.html ?

You can switch to windowed mode by modifying the file ~/.fric<tab>/Penumbra/Overture/settings.cfg (why isn't this an option?), but it didn't solve the problem for me.
03-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Find