Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Spoiler] Thoughts, questions, and sequal idea
D351 Offline

Threads: 1
[Spoiler] Thoughts, questions, and sequal idea

Just finished the game, which was rather amazing. Here's my thoughts:
1. I'm somewhat disappointed that my survey responses weren't addressed in any way after the fact. I feel like some sort of reference back to that, even if it just let me compare my answers to those of other players, would have been kind of awesome. With the several opportunities to fill out the survey, I was half-expecting the game to have a twist ending that the player has been on a twisted version of the ARK the whole and those survey opportunities were part of some evil AIs process for maximizing suffering. A best-case scenario would have had the protagonist's cutscenes be effected by survey answers, having Simon act like the player feels about the situation, becoming more alienated, optimistic, psychotic, etc. based on how the questions are answered.
2. I'm still not sure what the deal was with those tentacle things you could poke that eventually start sucking more of your hand was, game-mechanics wise. After finding out what what WAU was, I stopped poking them, but I was never sure what they were doing in the first place. I also felt that if they were helping, perhaps there was going to be some later drawback caused by having used them or even an trophy that would be dependent on either not using any or using them all. I'm just confused about this.
3. I like the fact that most of the moral decisions made in the game seem to have no effect in the plot. There's a realistic meaninglessness to it that I appreciate.
4. However, there were a couple that seem like they should have mattered to the plot: killing your old self (I didn't) and killing the WAU (I did).
5. A sequel seems necessary, either on the ARK, with one of the Simons at the base, or even at some other location further in the future with another copy of Simon. Here's what I'd add to give a progression from Soma: a new brain-copying technology that exploits Theseus' paradox to provide a guaranteed continuity. The technology transitions the consciousness, one cell at a time, to artificial brain cells (or interaction with a virtual model thereof) that are integrated with the original mind as it transitions, gradually removing the organic components as they are replaced with artificial ones. This provides a different ground to explore the philosophical implications of mind-uploading without the obvious problems of not being your own copy, which I thought was too obvious to believe the protagonist and suicide victims in Soma. There is just no reason to think killing yourself will turn you into your copy. It requires a deluded cult mentality to believe that... something else that could be explored in a sequel, as such a cult obviously had developed.
6. As hinted at in prior entries, the game would benefit from some elements to encourage replaying, particularly trophies that aren't just given by completing the game (an easy method) and a few decisions that effect the plot.
7. Seriously an amazing game. I'd been waiting for a game to thoroughly explore this subject matter, and I only hope to see more.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2015, 02:22 AM by Romulator.)
11-28-2015, 02:03 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Thoughts, questions, and sequal idea

Quote:2. I'm still not sure what the deal was with those tentacle things you could poke that eventually start sucking more of your hand was, game-mechanics wise. After finding out what what WAU was, I stopped poking them, but I was never sure what they were doing in the first place. I also felt that if they were helping, perhaps there was going to be some later drawback caused by having used them or even an trophy that would be dependent on either not using any or using them all. I'm just confused about this.

After using the first one and it heals you, Simon comments "It doesn't hurt anymore". Furthermore, when Simon uses one while Catherine is around, he remarks how it helps take pain away, despite the consequences of hooking up to the WAU. Hence, it hints that it heals you without displaying a hint (since Frictional Games comments on stuff about having all hints at the start of the game and are not too intrusive).

If you were to use only one WAU flower (the first one which you must use) throughout the whole game, you get a code in the ARK's survey terminal which combined with 5 others were used to open the supersecret.rar.

Also, adding a spoiler tag to your title, since it is likely to promote such discussion

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2015, 02:25 AM by Romulator.)
11-28-2015, 02:21 AM
Find
D351 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: [Spoiler] Thoughts, questions, and sequal idea

(11-28-2015, 02:21 AM)Romulator Wrote:
Quote:2. I'm still not sure what the deal was with those tentacle things you could poke that eventually start sucking more of your hand was, game-mechanics wise. After finding out what what WAU was, I stopped poking them, but I was never sure what they were doing in the first place. I also felt that if they were helping, perhaps there was going to be some later drawback caused by having used them or even an trophy that would be dependent on either not using any or using them all. I'm just confused about this.

After using the first one and it heals you, Simon comments "It doesn't hurt anymore". Furthermore, when Simon uses one while Catherine is around, he remarks how it helps take pain away, despite the consequences of hooking up to the WAU. Hence, it hints that it heals you without displaying a hint (since Frictional Games comments on stuff about having all hints at the start of the game and are not too intrusive).

If you were to use only one WAU flower (the first one which you must use) throughout the whole game, you get a code in the ARK's survey terminal which combined with 5 others were used to open the supersecret.rar.

Also, adding a spoiler tag to your title, since it is likely to promote such discussion

Thank you. That explains a lot. I assume the supersecret.rar thing is only on the computer versions though (I got it on PS4). Still nifty.
11-28-2015, 03:09 AM
Find