Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Work in progress Amnesia Script Wizard
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19
Amnesia Script Wizard

Update 6.1. 2017
THE COMMUNITY UPDATE

Dear forum-6,
Amnesia Script Wizard began as an interesting project for me. It was a way of learning classes in C#, it was an opportunity to think outside of the box. Unfortunately, there just isn't a demand for this type of project anymore. It would have been nice a few years back, but at this point, it's getting obsolete.

My priorities had changed and this project has to be simply cut out of my main priorities list. I most likely won't continue the development of this project. But YOU MIGHT! Yes, YOU!
(Unless you're Mudbill, then go make a YouTube video)

ORB IDE is hosted here:
https://petrspelos.github.io/amnesiaORB-IDE/index.html

SOURCE CODE is on my GitHub repository:
https://github.com/petrspelos/amnesiaORB-IDE

Feel free to branch it and work on it.

(To Romulator: close this or don't, your choice. I suppose those link will not change)
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2017, 11:37 PM by Spelos.)
02-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Amnesia Script Wizard

For users who want to do simple stuff/learn, this could be pretty useful. If you are mainly aiming for this as a learning tool, I think there's probably more that could be done in teaching the fundamentals of scripting for amnesia, fx a newbie might think onstart is only for events that happen in the start of the map, and not understand it is simply the collision for an event later on that he is adding. Of course there's also a fine line of making the tool too easy, so people end up relying on it and misunderstanding things when they move on to scripting things manually.

For more advanced users there's definitely some goodies in this. For example the pulling entities from the map in particular could safe me a lot of going between level and script all the time. But there's a lot of things a tool like this cant do well, like managing script layout and commenting for readability, or hps syntax coloring. Even though some of the things your tool add's would be nice to have, it would be very bothersome to keep switching between scripting software(notepad++,genie,codeblocks...) and the tool all the time, and having to clean up the messy scripts provided by the tool.
So I would only make the switch personally given it essentially became a tool that could replace those software, though only specifically in the area of amnesia modding.

Well add to that, that I am only doing HPL3 stuff right now, I would probably only make the switch if you added support for that and it's scripting features like autocomplete. If I had to do something HPL2 again, it would only be for the sake of helping you test I think, which I would definitely consider.
02-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I think the UI of this app can be improved, but otherwise I think it's a great idea. Especially for people to keep a list of the engine scripts more easily available without having to go to the wiki. Of course some of the functions are easy to remember, but some with many arguments can be somewhat tricky, even for me, to remember which order some arguments are in.
Perhaps you should build in a search function for the scripts, if you plan on adding every script into this. Would be interesting.

As for the UI, there's a lot of empty space currently there. It can be shrunk a lot, but I suggest making use of it by displaying useful info and making more options available. For example show both drop-lists for "X collide with X" at once.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2016, 04:07 AM by Mudbill.)
03-01-2016, 04:06 AM
Find
AGP Offline

Threads: 45

This looks pretty awesome and is definitely something that would come in handy for many people.

Have you set up a way so that you can see all your scripting with this? Like an atuo-generated .hps file so you can view it as a whole? (This might be a stupid question, but I honestly know nothing about programming.)

03-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

The way I set up this program (and bare in mind the structure may change)
is that it remembers all the current functions with their syntax and gives it an ID.

For example:
ListOfFunctions[0] = "void OnStart()"
ListOfFunctions[1] = "void OnEnter()"
The index of the function is its intern ID.
When you then select a function in the UI of the program, it gets the function's ID and creates a command list for it.
ListOfFunctions[0] = "void OnStart()"
ListOfCommands[0] = "SetEntityActive("example", false); \n SetEntityActive(...)"
If a new function is created by any of the commands, it gives it a new ID and adds it to the ListOfFunctions. The function can then be accessed.

When you're ready and press the "Build script" button the .hps file compiles.

For each Function it generates the following:
ListOfFunctions[ID] ("void OnStart()")
"{"
ListOfCommands[ID] ("SetEntityActive("example", false); \n SetEntityActive(...)")
"}"
Where ID is increasing to cover all functions ready.

You end up with a structured .hps file as usual.
But you cannot preview it unless you actually build the file.
(But a feature to preview the build might be added)
03-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

UPDATE - TECH.DEMO 0.2

UPDATE VIDEO:
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/vg8sHPEDer4[/video]

NEW FEATURES:
  • Function Handler
  • Full-Length Script Wizard
  • Kernel for Debugging (Dev-Feature only)

OPTIMIZATIONS:
  • Friendlier UI (not final!)
  • Treating .map files as XML docs
  • New Classes for Functions and Commands (code-behind)

Thanks to all of you for feedback. Hope to hear from you soon...

Features that will come next:
  • Color coded view
  • All Amnesia Script Functions
  • Your choice...

[Image: dnYGyQS.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2016, 08:06 PM by Spelos.)
03-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Find
AGP Offline

Threads: 45

How awesome! Looks handy for keeping things all in one place, not having to do too much jumping back and forth between the editor and the .hps file.

I look forward to seeing how this continues to progress. Big Grin Big Grin

03-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Noticed the generated scripts are lacking the quotation marks around your strings. Perhaps it's just the left side view that filters them out accidentally?
Also, you should make it possible to quickly refresh the same map file that is loaded, in case you go in the editor to add a script area and want it to show up without having to load up the file again.

03-05-2016, 11:38 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

UPDATE - TECH.DEMO 0.3

UPDATE VIDEO:
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/xYEekl_B5gQ[/video]

NEW FEATURES:
  • .hps view as a separate tab
  • Treating commands as a List View
  • Ability to delete commands
  • Ability to delete functions

OPTIMIZATIONS:
  • Bug fixes
  • Commands are now Function's property
  • Fixed missing Quotation marks (thanks, Mudbill)

[Image: IFbDviu.png]
03-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Find
DanielRand47 Away

Threads: 16

(03-27-2016, 03:09 PM)Spelos Wrote: UPDATE - TECH.DEMO 0.3

UPDATE VIDEO:
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/xYEekl_B5gQ[/video]

NEW FEATURES:
  • .hps view as a separate tab
  • Treating commands as a List View
  • Ability to delete commands
  • Ability to delete functions

OPTIMIZATIONS:
  • Bug fixes
  • Commands are now Function's property
  • Fixed missing Quotation marks (thanks, Mudbill)

[Image: IFbDviu.png]

Looking good. What IDE are you using to build this and what language?
03-27-2016, 04:15 PM
Find