Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Daniel's sister -- Hazel.
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Daniel's sister -- Hazel.

(09-16-2010, 07:47 AM)nofsky Wrote: Here are the texts mentioning Hazel.

Quote:He fell to the kitchen floor. Tears were beginning to well in his eyes as he received the first kick in his stomach. Hazel remained hidden, in fear she too would be punished.

Hazel spent all summer in bed. He used to read to her after helping father with his work. In his mind he was like Scheherazade, and as long as he kept telling the story she would not die.

When Hazel turned fifteen she had lived three years longer than doctor Tate had foreseen. Her parents had given up from exhaustion and decided to have her committed for permanent treatment at Canterbury Hospice, but she was still alive. She had embraced him and wished him a grand adventure in Algeria.

The last two, it seems, are displayed when you have been captured. Is the first of the two her dying and the last her living? Apparently she had some kind of illness. Huh

Yes, I saw them. But there are more with references to "she", without mentioning "Hazel" btw.

@1st note: who kicked Daniel in his stomach? Consider the word "punishment" it could be the parents (father) only, but that's way to cruel even for those old dark times. Did he do something awful with his sister?

@3rd note: Canterbury Hispice? Hmmm, quick googling shows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Canter...ospice.jpg

Apparently it could be England, but no hint what kind of disease it is :<

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Find
serotonin Offline

Threads: 4

If the commentary wasn't recorded earlier in development before content cuts, then I can only conclude the individual developer speaking there was simply mistaken, like there was miscommunication among the members of Frictional about the game's actual content.

In any case, if you read and see some of the stuff in the super_secret.rar, it's clear that Amnesia changed A LOT during development. Maybe everyone just wasn't on the same page, even as the game was going gold.

Considering how indy this production was, it wouldn't be a shock.
09-17-2010, 04:03 AM
Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

Devs: Read this and tell us!

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Find
Reportin' Offline

Threads: 3

I think the initial poster misunderstood what Mr. Hedberg said during that piece of commentary...
What he meant (to my understanding) was that the player's actions may change some of the text that's displayed on the loading screens; there are no other NPCs in the game that can be saved.
09-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

I have checked the level scripts. When you are captured and the new prison level is loaded the message Ch03_Captured01 is shown. When the player leaves the prison, Ch03_Captured02 is shown. It doesn't matter what you do, both messages are shown at one point in the game.

The only other message with 'Hazel' in it is Ch01_Beginning03. There are some other texts with 'she' but I don't they refer to Hazel, instead most of them seem to be about the little girl that plays a minor part in the story.

Quote:Ch01_Beginning03:
He fell to the kitchen floor. Tears were beginning to well in his eyes as he received the first kick in his stomach. Hazel remained hidden, in fear she too would be punished.

Ch03_Captured01:
Hazel spent all summer in bed. He used to read to her after helping father with his work. In his mind he was like Scheherazade, and as long as he kept telling the story she would not die.

Ch03_Captured02:
When Hazel turned fifteen she had lived three years longer than doctor Tate had foreseen. Her parents had given up from exhaustion and decided to have her committed for permanent treatment at Canterbury Hospice, but she was still alive. She had embraced him and wished him a grand adventure in Algeria.

So my conclusion is that either Mikael is mistaken (the content was cut), or he means that since none of these texts specifically says whether Hazel dies or not, it is up to how the player interprets them.
09-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

:<
So, the cake is a lie.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Hmm...
Eve consider the fact that everything about his sister is static and pre-defined, there is still interesting info about the way to help others:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7894/...echapt.jpg

See those notes "release prisoner"? I wonder what does that mean...

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Find
alfie Offline

Threads: 3

It also says " "release" prisoner " instead of " release prisoner ", maybe by release they mean mercy killing?
09-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Well... my thought was that "release" is quoted coz there is no real prisoner and some kind of tortured soul's echo, which is purely a Daniel's memory. By releasing this "remains" he releases himself from his dark past.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Find