Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Some personal thoughts on piracy (warning - long post)
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Some personal thoughts on piracy (warning - long post)

(11-05-2010, 10:44 AM)Nospheratu Wrote: I'm saying this: If something catches my interest on the internet and I end up downloading it becouse of that, I will get the real product if the expirience of listening/watching/playing the product was worth it in my opinion; if not, I'll just delete it right away.

I don't usually say things like these, but now I say it:

This thought is totally stupid. Why?
It's like going into a shop, taking a candy bar, open it up before paying, taking two bites from it and then saying: "I don't like this one...", putting it back to sale and leave the shop without paying.

Piracy is a theft and there's no excuses for doing so. None.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010, 03:59 PM by Yuhaney.)
11-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Website Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

(11-05-2010, 03:59 PM)Scraper Wrote: Piracy is a theft and there's no excuses for doing so. None.

You're wrong and you know it.

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

(11-05-2010, 04:05 PM)Frontcannon Wrote:
(11-05-2010, 03:59 PM)Scraper Wrote: Piracy is a theft and there's no excuses for doing so. None.

You're wrong and you know it.

Sure. There's always someone who makes them.

11-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Website Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Delete it right away? You just admitted to beating a pirated game twice before considering purchasing it. So you can fuck off with that. As to your attempts to rebut my arguments, you did not. You merely rephrased what you already said and provided flimsy excuses to justify you not wanting to pay for a product if it is not worth it, a point you refused to admit to saying and yet reiterated in your defense.

(11-05-2010, 10:44 AM)Nospheratu Wrote: I never mentioned that I pirate stuff becouse it isn't worth my money - I'm saying this: If something catches my interest on the internet and I end up downloading it becouse of that, I will get the real product if the expirience of listening/watching/playing the product was worth it in my opinion

You pretty much just said "I don't pirate stuff stuff because it is not worth my money, I pirate everything to see if it is worth my money!"

Sorry, but you are not intelligent enough to continue arguing with a real man.
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Website Find
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9

He said he would delete it if he didn't like it, not if he likes it. If he does, he will buy it eventually.

@Scraper: "testing" a candybar before buying it would destroy something that could have been sold to another person. In this condition it cannot be sold, so it's a loss.
Pirating a game before buying it however, results in no profit-loss for a company at all (if you buy it afterwards). If you download a pirated version and you don't like it and uninstall before even completing it, then it would be like a game demo.
In either way, your comparison is false.
11-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

(11-05-2010, 04:32 PM)Tottel Wrote: "testing" a candybar before buying it would destroy something that could have been sold to another person. In this condition it cannot be sold, so it's a loss.
Pirating a game before buying it however, results in no profit-loss for a company at all (if you buy it afterwards). If you download a pirated version and you don't like it and uninstall before even completing it, then it would be like a game demo.

Even if people buy the game afterwards, they will, most likely, buy it from sale for a much lower price (= seller gets profit, not the company, who made / published the game).
And even if you buy it for the full price, you have already stolen the game once.

And why even pirate a game that you can try out in a demo?

11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Website Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(11-05-2010, 04:32 PM)Tottel Wrote: He said he would delete it if he didn't like it, not if he likes it. If he does, he will buy it eventually.

@Scraper: "testing" a candybar before buying it would destroy something that could have been sold to another person. In this condition it cannot be sold, so it's a loss.
In either way, your comparison is false.

Think of it this way. You write a book. I steal it and make a copy for myself and then return it. You don't lose anything and the book is still in a condition in which it can be sold. I tell you "hey pal, ill pay you if its good! if not then ill just mildly enjoy it and throw it out eventually" now according to our OP i can read the book TWICE and then some time down the line which could be years from now, i may decide to finally pay for it. It will probably only be a fraction of the price it was when i originally downloaded it but whatever! I can say I have a clear conscience! OR I can read it, decide its not worth my money and then just chuck it in the trash and move on to the next theft. There is no way to justify it!
11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Website Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

(11-05-2010, 04:50 PM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: Think of it this way. You write a book. I steal it and make a copy for myself and then return it. You don't lose anything and the book is still in a condition in which it can be sold. I tell you "hey pal, ill pay you if its good! if not then ill just mildly enjoy it and throw it out eventually" now according to our OP i can read the book TWICE and then some time down the line which could be years from now, i may decide to finally pay for it. It will probably only be a fraction of the price it was when i originally downloaded it but whatever! I can say I have a clear conscience! OR I can read it, decide its not worth my money and then just chuck it in the trash and move on to the next theft. There is no way to justify it!

Amen.

11-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Website Find
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9

Spooder: that's a much better comparison, looking at it that way, there is indeed no way to justify piracy.
Although I can say that I pirated one game that I don't feel sorry for at all: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, simply because I bought the retail version and the anti-piracy software was prohibiting me from simply installing the game. So, I downloaded a cracked version. Is this piracy? Not in my opinion.
11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

@ Tottel
I had the same idea on mind when wrote up my example, but maybe this is better one. Tongue

If you have payed for the game before playing it (even the most minimum price) and it does not work the way it supposed to, I don't see problem with that. For example, I have bought two copies of the first Splinter Cell game.
Someone once asked that am I going to upload Mission Pack gameplay on YouTube from Splinter Cell. I had no idea what the Mission Pack was before that, so I looked it up and then found out that they sold package that included three more missions for the game.

I finally managed to hunt down one copy of this package, bought it and then install it... It didn't work out for some reason. I downloaded No CD crack and it worked with that.
I see no problem in this case, since I legally bought the game. Same goes with the downloading the full game, if you have legally paid for it.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010, 05:13 PM by Yuhaney.)
11-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Website Find