Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Least Scary "Scary" Game in History?
Phaedros Offline

Threads: 1
Least Scary "Scary" Game in History?

Consider me fooled. I saw the great ratings for Amnesia, I was intrigued by the idea of finally having a scary game that *didn't* require a load of weaponry to complete--the horror/shooter genre is wearing mightily thin these days--so I picked it up on Steam with high hopes.

Dashed.

This is the least scary "scary" game in my personal gaming history, which encompasses decades of play across multiple platforms and genres.

Designers--you can't scare me by having my character's *sanity* drop because the wind blew a door open and playing the same seven-note piano mood music in the background as I light candles to stay out of the dark. Having me drop to the ground after picking up a note a la flashback-style not only pulls me out of whatever mood you're trying to get me into, it makes me wonder just how milquetoast the main character must be, and why he was chosen to be here to begin with!

I love puzzles--MYST is still in my top 5 games of all time--but Amnesia's clunky presentation and annoying results just kept sinking my enjoyment as time went on.

Now, I'm no quitter--so I loaded the game up again today to make *sure* I wasn't being too hard on it; after all, the Internet is full of self-appointed experts, and I wanted to be certain that I wasn't judging harshly...

...only to discover that my last "Save and Quit" had somehow placed me back several minutes in gameplay I'd spent avoiding a pretty stressful creature.

I simply have no desire to overcome both poor design and a poor save mechanic--each seemingly competing to earn my dislike while playing the game.

Of course, this is a forum for fans, so I'll stop soon and allow those who truly enjoyed the game to have the day. Indeed, you've already got my money, so what do you care at this point, right?

Still, I come to you as a once-customer with a handshake and a goodbye. I'll avoid the usual Internet hysterics and just go--and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to let you know, should you read my post, that despite the high marks elsewhere, this one fell absolutely flat for me.

Phaedros
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2010, 03:32 AM by Phaedros.)
12-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Find
Argoon Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Least Scary "Scary" Game in History?

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, the developers know that some will not like their game but that comes with the job, to me the game was scary not OH MY GOD!! scary but more them Doom3, Fear and silent hill combined, maybe the hype (that is not the developers fault) made false exceptions about the game for you. By the way just for record can you say what scares you on games?
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2010, 04:04 AM by Argoon.)
12-18-2010, 04:03 AM
Find
Mr.Goodcat Offline

Threads: 0

Well, obviously you haven't played the whole game yet if you don't know why he was there. Also tell me you wouldn't shit your pants if a door magically blew open? and, its not about actually the game scaring you, its about how you feed your own fear and start imagining things. Still this is your opinion of the game and you have to right to praise it or condemn it. Well at least its scary to some..... (like me)
12-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Find
Adiane Offline

Threads: 0

How far into the game did you make it exactly?

Also, it's one thing if you dislike the game and don't find it scary, but was the "you've already got my money, so what do you care at this point" comment really necessary? If any dev team cares about player feedback it's Frictional, even if the feedback is not positive.
12-18-2010, 04:24 AM
Find
Argoon Offline

Threads: 5

The best way to experience this game is to "play along" that is try to forget is a game and immerse yourself in the history, also play alone and in the dark, i discovered that playing with other people in the room the sense of fear goes away.
12-18-2010, 04:53 AM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

I'm gunna go ahead and guess you didn't play far enough to run into any monsters yet.

Also for the least scary game in history: Resident Evil 4

i spam meme 4 raeg
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2010, 05:15 AM by Shev.)
12-18-2010, 04:57 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

You be trollin'

12-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

I will admit I preferred the puzzles in Penumbra. Maybe that had more to do with the setting, not much you can do without technology.
12-18-2010, 06:11 AM
Find
davva Offline

Threads: 1

Bek Wrote:I will admit I preferred the puzzles in Penumbra

i must say i fucking loved the Penumbra puzzles, all except for
Spoiler below!
the computer hacking part in black plauge

btw, OP is trolling

12-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20

(12-18-2010, 06:49 AM)davva Wrote:
Bek Wrote:I will admit I preferred the puzzles in Penumbra

i must say i fucking loved the Penumbra puzzles, all except for
Spoiler below!
the computer hacking part in black plauge

btw, OP is trolling

Obvious troll is Obvious

OP does have a point to a degree, but if he is legit and has such a mind for "critic" then he has failed to realize there are different genre's of horror, and some people aren't fazed by one when the other is what tickles them

also... he clearly hasn't played to many horror games
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2010, 08:33 AM by DIGI Byte.)
12-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Find