Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
To Give Is To Force
convolution223 Offline

Threads: 15
RE: To Give Is To Force

(08-05-2011, 12:23 PM)Tenno Wrote: Extremely unique story you have created, some of the areas were beautifully designed especially the hub. The Justine monster chases were absolutely terrifying, I hate it and love it when they are included in custom stories if that makes sense Tongue

This story had it all, great atmosphere, scares, puzzles, areas etc.

To sum up this story in one word, it would be: Unique.

Can't wait to see what you release next Big Grin

Thank you!! Big Grin I really can't begin to try to express how happy it makes me to see that you liked it and that it was unique.
(08-05-2011, 01:27 PM)MasaMainio Wrote: This is a pretty good story. I just got through the suitor chase, in witch I died about 6 times... but it really is a good one.

It also seems that I either didn't find a lantern or you didn't put one in.

Still I like the story and I'll complete it soon.

Yeah, there isn't a lantern. I wanted the player to be scared of the dark and I thought it would ruin the atmosphere if the player could see if there were any monsters or not.
(08-05-2011, 02:00 PM)Biohazard Wrote: I completed the story and what I must say is that I loved it, the puzzles were great.

Although, a thing I didn't like was some of the monsters just spawned out of nowhere, and there was no "hint"

Also what was the monster that chased you in the hallway to the altar? It had some really creepy sounds, really freaked me out.

I didn't like though that there wasn't many areas, there were alot of backtracking, but you added some scares, so that was nice Smile

Also during the Justine chase, I tried to run back but unfortunately I died, and then the second time I went into the hallway, he spawned behind me, which terrified me, I don't know if it was intentional. Just think you should know

Thanks!
And I actually had to test it many times to get rid of the hints since I thought they ruin the immersion, but I added a lot of on-screen messages that should help the player when he/she looks at certain things or is in a certain area.

That monster in the hallway before the altar was my own creation. Smile It's got some of the sounds of the water lurker but I edited and amplified them. Also it leaves flies in its wake. And if you escape it before reaching the end of the tunnel, it makes a fog and sounds like a baby crying in a weird low-pitch way.

If I had more time I'd add more areas but I'm glad that revisiting the old areas was still entertaining. It was pretty hard to keep the code organized and functional for that since you have to keep in mind players might revisit an area as many times as they like or do things in a totally different order (I had to use a lot of global variables).

And yes that monster spawning behind you is intentional >Smile
Spoiler below!
I wanted the game to be less predictable, and I think that's my favorite part since the player is looking ahead, waiting for the monster to come when it suddenly runs up from behind.

(08-05-2011, 04:03 PM)Mr. Bombastic Wrote: I hate the placenment of the monsters.. Also there are too much of them.
That made me rage quit Tongue

Funny you should say that. I originally had many more monsters, but that proved way too difficult and frustrating. In fact I was kinda worried I made it too easy. I had planned to make a hardcore version with perma-death and a time limit, among other things. Glad to see that wasn't necessary. Though I hope you come back and play it again. What part exactly was it that you kept dying at?
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2011, 05:20 PM by convolution223.)
08-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Find
convolution223 Offline

A kind fellow, by the name of roflwatanoob, has uploaded a video of himself playing To Give Is To Force. The video's HILARIOUS and it contains a few spoilers for the first and second level (there are 4 levels total). Anyways, here it is:

Also, if anyone else wants to make a video of himself/herself playing, I'll be glad to post it here and on Mod DB for all to see. Smile

Mod DB page (where you can download the Custom Story, etc.)
08-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Find
convolution223 Offline

Here are parts 2 and 3. They kind of act as a walkthrough, but I'd strongly urge you not to view them unless you're hopelessly stuck:

08-08-2011, 03:19 AM
Find
AlexRobillard Offline

Threads: 5

I think I will do a youtube play through throughout this week, but we shall see.

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011, 09:56 PM by AlexRobillard.)
08-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Find
convolution223 Offline

(08-10-2011, 09:55 PM)AlexRobillard Wrote: I think I will do a youtube play through throughout this week, but we shall see.

Cool! Looking forward to it. Smile
08-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Find
AlexRobillard Offline

Threads: 5

If the footage turns out good I will put it up, either on my channel or for my sponser.

08-11-2011, 04:08 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-05-2011, 04:03 PM)Mr. Bombastic Wrote: I hate the placenment of the monsters.. Also there are too much of them.

i thought that too... haha at one point when i was in the starting room after i exited the whom i finally saw the key on the chair so i ran for it past the brute only to be attacked by a justine monster (well it was a hallucination, but still) and then got chased back to the room by the brute only to find when i shut the door on him a grunt had spawned like 5 feet away from me in that very room. i made it, but i must say it was the first time i've gotten vocal in fear/frustration while i wasn't playing with friends Tongue. but still i loved this one, i kinda just stopped paying attention to the story after a while because i think i kept getting the notes out of order. i might go back to right before i did the ritual and read all the notes to understand it better some time soon.

Posting Freak
08-11-2011, 04:43 AM
Website Find
convolution223 Offline

(08-11-2011, 04:43 AM)kman Wrote:

i thought that too... haha at one point when i was in the starting room after i exited the whom i finally saw the key on the chair so i ran for it past the brute only to be attacked by a justine monster (well it was a hallucination, but still) and then got chased back to the room by the brute only to find when i shut the door on him a grunt had spawned like 5 feet away from me in that very room. i made it, but i must say it was the first time i've gotten vocal in fear/frustration while i wasn't playing with friends Tongue. but still i loved this one, i kinda just stopped paying attention to the story after a while because i think i kept getting the notes out of order. i might go back to right before i did the ritual and read all the notes to understand it better some time soon.

I'm sorry but at the same time i've got a grin across my face. certain monsters can be triggered by doing different things (like picking up and throwing the star in the first room, or if u die, a monster spawns in a random spot but he just waits there, for atmospheric purposes, and so something like this is less likely to happen) so u must've triggered every monster, which is pretty awesome. Smile

i'll keep this feedback in mind for next time. For this though, I wanted to have that fear and adrenaline rush that comes from being chased by monsters, because personally, those were the parts that scared me the most in Amnesia.

And please tell me what you think of the story if/when you go back and read them. It's meant to be interpreted, but as I've said before, there were a few possibilities I had written that I wanted to imply. And thanks for playing and posting! Glad you liked it!
(08-11-2011, 04:08 AM)AlexRobillard Wrote: If the footage turns out good I will put it up, either on my channel or for my sponser.

sponser? interesting... do elaborate.

and send me a link if/when u do.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2011, 06:02 AM by convolution223.)
08-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-11-2011, 05:59 AM)convolution223 Wrote:

I'm sorry but at the same time i've got a grin across my face. certain monsters can be triggered by doing different things (like picking up and throwing the star in the first room, or if u die, a monster spawns in a random spot but he just waits there, for atmospheric purposes, and so something like this is less likely to happen) so u must've triggered every monster, which is pretty awesome. Smile

picked up and threw the star: check
died and have the monster spawn right in front of where it zoomed up to show the key: check
passed the trigger in front of the middle locked door in the hub multiple times: check
got simultaneously chased by the modified water monster and a grunt standing in front of the exit at the same time, only to run into the next room and land face first in front of a grunt: check

god damnit man XD

Posting Freak
08-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Website Find
convolution223 Offline

(08-11-2011, 06:29 AM)kman Wrote:
(08-11-2011, 05:59 AM)convolution223 Wrote:

picked up and threw the star: check
died and have the monster spawn right in front of where it zoomed up to show the key: check
passed the trigger in front of the middle locked door in the hub multiple times: check
got simultaneously chased by the modified water monster and a grunt standing in front of the exit at the same time, only to run into the next room and land face first in front of a grunt: check

god damnit man XD

holy sh*t! Wow, i think that's every monster possible in that level. ok i can see where you're coming from now. lmao
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2011, 07:37 AM by convolution223.)
08-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Find