Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Custom Story Won't Appear
WASD Offline

Threads: 6
My Custom Story Won't Appear

Okay, so I don't know what I've done wrong, but my custom story won't appear in the main menu. It's not finished, not even the first map is done, but I still want to see how it is coming along in-game. I only have two folders right now, maps and images. I have two scripts right now, custom_story_settings.cfg, and extra_english.lang. Here is the first one:

<Main
[tab]Name="The Only Way Out"
[tab]Author="Paul"
[tab]ImgFile="onlyway1.jpg"

[tab]StartMap="01_woods.map"
[tab]StartPos=""
/>

This is all done in word pad, by the way, now here is extra_english.lang:

<LANGUAGE>
[tab]<CATEGORY Name="The Only Way Out">
[tab][tab] <Entry Name="Description">
[tab][tab][tab] After a fatal car crash, Richard must travel into hell itself, and face his deepest fears.
[tab][tab]</Entry>
[tab]</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

I can't figure out what's wrong, and I am starting to get frustrated. (the tabs are just there to show you where I've put tabs, and aren't in the actual scripting.)
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2012, 05:22 AM by WASD.)
06-16-2012, 05:15 AM
Find
Alento Offline

Threads: 11
RE: My Custom Story Won't Appear

(06-16-2012, 05:15 AM)WASD Wrote: Okay, so I don't know what I've done wrong, but my custom story won't appear in the main menu. It's not finished, not even the first map is done, but I still want to see how it is coming along in-game. I only have two folders right now, maps and images. I have two scripts right now, custom_story_settings.cfg, and extra_english.lang. Here is the first one:

[tab]Name="The Only Way Out"
[tab]Author="Paul"
[tab]ImgFile="onlyway1.jpg"

[tab]StartMap="01_woods.map"
[tab]StartPos=""
/>

This is all done in word pad, by the way, now here is extra_english.lang:

[tab]
[tab][tab]
[tab][tab][tab] After a fatal car crash, Richard must travel into hell itself, and face his deepest fears.
[tab][tab]
[tab]

I can't figure out what's wrong, and I am starting to get frustrated. (the tabs are just there to show you where I've put tabs, and aren't in the actual scripting.)

The custom_story_settings.cfg and extra_english.lang file should be placed in custom_stories -> "Your custom story folder"
In your custom story folder, you have your "maps" folder, and your images folder.

The custom_story_settings.cfg should look something like this:

<Main
Name = "Name Of Story"
Author = "Author"

MapsFolder = "maps/"
StartMap = "00_Name_Of_First_map.map"
StartPos = "PlayerStartArea_1"
/>

It is very important that the .map file and .hps file are named the same!

Like this:

00_MyStory.map
00_MyStory.hps

Then The extra_english.lang file should look something like this:

<LANGUAGE>

<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">

<Entry Name="Description"> this is a story.... </Entry>

</CATEGORY>

</LANGUAGE>

And with that, It should work. Thought to test the map, you have to at least add "voidOnStart()" in your .hps file.

but still, important that the extra_english.lang file and custom_story_settings.cfg file is placed outside the "maps" folder, and placed in the folder named after your custom story.

Tell me if it's something you don't understand.

Hope it helped, good luck.

---------Want help with YOUR Custom Story? ---------
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/user-19049.html
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2012, 09:47 AM by Alento.)
06-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Find