Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Any News On The Next Instalment?
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Any News On The Next Instalment?

(08-05-2011, 10:47 PM)TheLostSentinel Wrote: Personally I want to see more horror. Amnesia was the first game in known existence (and I have played a lot of horror games) to actually give me a little bit of the creeps. Not enough to scare me, perse... but it left me double checking over my shoulder when I was home alone and stuff. haha. I think horror is Frictional games element, they do -very- well with it, and make the game actually scary. I think it's the fact that they don't hand the player weapons. Which is typically the weak point in games trying their hardest to be scary. If you have a weapon, what do you need to be afraid of? But even still, even if it's not a horror title... I will definitely fork over money for the next game Frictional Games releases. I own every title they've made so far, cause they're entertaining! I just hope they don't let go of that horror aspect, and keep developing awesome monsters, puzzles, stories, and just awesome things overall.

The only real change I want to see is if the monster AI's were smarter. Able to hear sound, see quick movement, searched more thoroughly, changed their
searching paths, randomly spawned at random times, etc. Would be pretty awesome.

Damn. If amnesia only gave you a little of the creeps you're one tough cookie O_O

Posting Freak
08-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Website Find
MasaMainio Offline

Threads: 2

(08-05-2011, 10:47 PM)TheLostSentinel Wrote: The only real change I want to see is if the monster AI's were smarter. Able to hear sound, see quick movement, searched more thoroughly, changed their searching paths, randomly spawned at random times, etc. Would be pretty awesome.

That's just what I thought. After finishing I wanted to complete the game with the commentary mode, but I didn't get scared after, because I remembered where all the monsters spawn.

Also that they didn't try to find shortcuts after you and disappeared after awhile.
08-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

@kman

Amnesia scares him.
Otherwise he did not want to play this game.
Why should he play horror games, when they don't scare him?
08-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

I completely agree with the A.I. I think the one time I got searched for was when you HAD to hide in that room in the wardrobe, before the monster smashes down the door (even though it was scripted). But more part like that would be amazing. It would make the game more intense to play. And like you said about them hearing sounds, like a chair falling or throwing a book, would make you be more careful.

Would be scary if the monsters were smart enough to open wardrobes as well as search all the area, rather than scaring into space.

I wouldn't complain if it was Amnesia 2, even though there is no reason too, but you just need a new character, new setting and some new monsters. They have made 3 Penumbra games so you never know.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
08-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Find
BendyBread Offline

Threads: 2

(08-08-2011, 09:27 AM)BrooksyFC Wrote: I completely agree with the A.I. I think the one time I got searched for was when you HAD to hide in that room in the wardrobe, before the monster smashes down the door (even though it was scripted). But more part like that would be amazing. It would make the game more intense to play. And like you said about them hearing sounds, like a chair falling or throwing a book, would make you be more careful.

Would be scary if the monsters were smart enough to open wardrobes as well as search all the area, rather than scaring into space.

I wouldn't complain if it was Amnesia 2, even though there is no reason too, but you just need a new character, new setting and some new monsters. They have made 3 Penumbra games so you never know.
In Penumbra, Overture ends with a kind of cliffhanger, thus Black Plague was a great way to come back.
In Amnesia, Daniel is "free" or dead or in the real with Wyer and Agrippa (I dont know, the 3 endings are strange), so making a sequel would be difficult. xD
I think Amnesia was a one off game. But thats okay, they new game can use aspects from Amnesia or penumbra and improve faults.

Like you said, if monsters could hear you making sounds, thatd be FANTASTIC. Makes you much more on edge and careful about throwing things around.
08-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Yeah I'm currently about half way through Overture but I've heard the ending is a bit weird. But like you said if they just improve the issues, not that there ain't much, then it would make a great next game. Just a few improvements to the A.I, bit more freedom with the setting and some more challenging puzzles and it would make a great game.

The spawning of monsters is a bit annoying if you keep playing it, but I love the idea of random spawns. Would make the user want to search every room for a good hiding spot just in case you get spotted. Maybe another idea could be putting out torches, like tinder, it runs out after a while until you find more to make the monster lose interest.

08-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Find
Seven Offline

Threads: 1

Whaaaat? The next installment is not going to be pure horror but more adventurey? Please. Please. PLEASE don't let it be so.

I've been looking for another game like this.
I've been looking for a game that will make me PEE MY PANTS like this game did.
I've been looking for a game that can top this or perhaps MEET the AWESOMENESS and HORROR of this game, but to no avail.

I've become addicted to the things Amnesia does to me.

Sad

I feel like I've been chasing the dragon.
I play Amnesia and get a fantastic scare. I can't get the same scare if I play it the second time. I've been trying to find a game that will meet or beat the awesomeness and the pure horror of this game and I cannot, and end up incredibly disappointed. Now I know what a crack addict feels like.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2011, 12:44 AM by Seven.)
08-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(08-09-2011, 12:40 AM)Seven Wrote: Whaaaat? The next installment is not going to be pure horror but more adventurey? Please. Please. PLEASE don't let it be so.

I've been looking for another game like this.
I've been looking for a game that will make me PEE MY PANTS like this game did.
I've been looking for a game that can top this or perhaps MEET the AWESOMENESS and HORROR of this game, but to no avail.

I've become addicted to the things Amnesia does to me.

Sad

I feel like I've been chasing the dragon.
I play Amnesia and get a fantastic scare. I can't get the same scare if I play it the second time. I've been trying to find a game that will meet or beat the awesomeness and the pure horror of this game and I cannot, and end up incredibly disappointed. Now I know what a crack addict feels like.

Step one: go to frictionalgames.com
step two: go to the online store
Step three: download the penumbra collection

Go wild

Posting Freak
08-09-2011, 03:54 AM
Website Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Yeah defo play Penumbra. Fantastic series. Also try downloading some Amnesia mods. Some of them are scarier than the original game IMO. http://www.moddb.com/ search amnesia and try some out Big Grin

I was only suggesting an adventure game. Not like Skyrim exploration, but just a bit more freedom in the area. More rooms and areas to explore. Possible a map in places, similar to what you find in Overture. But I do like finding notes and exploring rooms for clues.

08-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

you know i personally didn't like the whole maze like map areas in overture. they just were confusing and easy to get lost in and if you didn't notice the maps on the walls they could take forever to navigate (i didn't notice them until the last half of the game). also even if you knew where you were going you had to stop constantly and when you run into a dog, learn its patrol cycle, and then kill it or sneak by. that's the main differences between overture and amnesia. overture was more of a steady and slow burn throughout the entire thing where as amnesia would have a terrifying area followed by a puzzle area that was safe to navigate. that was the main problem i had with overture, you almost never go more than 15 minutes without running into an enemy which kind of de-sensitises you and makes them less scary.

Posting Freak
08-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Website Find