TITLE: Studio Manager
TYPE: Full-time, permanent
LAST DAY TO APPLY: 26th of April
LOCATION: Malmö, Sweden
UPDATE: We have heard your concerns regarding the workload of the position. For additional information, please read our Update on the Studio Manager Position.
Do you want a job where you get to help shape the future of a game studio and have a wide range of tasks that require a bucketload of creativity and entrepreneurial skills? If so, Studio Manager at Frictional Games is the job for you!
Frictional Games is not a big studio, and we intend to keep it that way, but our recent transition into a two-project studio has revealed the need for additional support at the executive level. Specifically, coordination and management of things that typically lie outside the actual production of our games.
Being a studio with less than 30 employees we’ve always had a strong need for people with a broad skill set and high levels of autonomy and drive. The person we’re looking for to fill this role needs those qualities, perhaps even more than for other roles. So, if you’re the type of person who strives for a limited and niche area of responsibility, then this position isn’t for you. On the other hand, if you are a person who yearns for variation and a wider range of tasks and challenges, then you might be the person we’re looking for!
As the Studio Manager at Frictional Games you will become a vital part of the executive layer of the studio. You will have constant sync-ups with the other executives where you’ll report on your areas of responsibility and take part in laying out strategies and goals. In all, you will have a big part in shaping the future of the company.
- LIVE IN MALMÖ, SWEDEN
You need to be living in Malmö, Sweden or be ready to move here shortly. Part of the job is managing our physical office in Malmö, so you need to be present there at least part of the time.
- INNOVATIVE SPIRIT
At Frictional Games we want to be at the forefront of both game design and how to manage a team. We want to release games that deliver fresh, innovative player experiences. We also want this to be created by a team not bound by conservative notions of how work is done. You need to be tuned in to this mindset, and to help drive forward its progress.
- PRIOR EXPERIENCE
It’s a plus (but not a requirement) if you have been part of running a studio, preferably a game-related one, and have taken at least one project from start to completion. It’s also a plus if you have already established connections and contacts in the gaming world.
- HANDS-ON APPROACH
This position is not about sitting back thinking up plans for someone else to execute. While a big part of your work is to delegate assignments, you also need to get your own hands dirty.
What you will be doing
Here are some examples of what you will be doing.
- OVERALL STUDIO MANAGEMENT
- Responsible for managing all “projects and events” that are not directly related to game or engine development.
- WORKPLACE MANAGEMENT
- Assessing needs and executing purchases needed in relation to expansions and everyday operations at all the studio workplaces (our physical office in Malmö and all distributed team members’ workplaces). This can be software, equipment, furniture etc.
- Making sure anything related to the physical office runs as smoothly as possible (security, deliveries, mail, cleaning schedules etc).
- HR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be one of the go-to-persons for any HR-related issues the team might have.
- Handle all vacation and leave requests and make sure they are in sync with salary payouts and finances.
- Manage everything related to recruitment (evaluating current needs, placing ads, managing the application process, communication with applicants etc.)
- BIZ DEV AND NETWORKING RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage everything related to sales/campaigns and discounting strategy on all platforms.
- Maintain our network of partners (both sales and development-related).
- Attend partner or networking events where deemed necessary or useful.
- Be the first point of contact for most of our partners.
- Gather, consolidate and share sales reports for financial forecasting and budgeting.
- Come up with strategies for sales, manage stores-related issues and investigate new opportunities.
- PR PLANNING AND COORDINATION
- Plan and coordinate everything related to PR strategy.
- Make sure internal resources and PR agencies know what they are supposed to do and when.
- Evaluate our current progress and help out in planning our next move.
- PORTING PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Initiate and coordinate projects related to porting of games that are not currently in production.
- Communicate with our porting partner to make sure everything progresses according to plan.
- SOFTWARE AND TOOLS ADMINISTRATION
- Administrate access and licenses for most of the software/tools we use in the studio.
- Talk to the team about their needs and see if there are any ways to up the quality of life and speed of the production pipeline.
- CONTRIBUTION TO IMPROVEMENT OF INTERNAL PROCESSES (IN ALL AREAS)
- Responsible for continuous evaluation of and improvements to the processes that lie within your area of responsibility.
- Contributing to improvements in development and production processes if and when possible.
- Help handle any legal issues that arise.
- Set up and manage contracts with employees and partners.
- PLANNING AND COORDINATING EVERYTHING RELATED TO RELEASE
- Overall responsible to ensure that everything related to a release (but not directly development-related) goes as smoothly as possible.
- Making sure that everyone knows the plan and that actions and tasks are performed when needed in order to meet deadlines.
- COMMUNICATION WITH PLATFORM OWNERS
- Communicating with platform owners in order to make sure we have everything we need for a smooth release on their platform.
- Main point of contact for issues or problems that could arise.
- PERFORMING STORE SUBMISSIONS
- Hands-on submission of products to stores through platform portals.
- PROCUREMENT OF AGE RATINGS
- Making sure that all necessary age rating submissions are dealt with in a timely manner so as to not affect the release.
- COMMUNICATION WITH QA AND LOCALIZATION PARTNERS
- Making sure we have a good continuous relationship with our partners
- Communicating upcoming QA and Localization needs ahead of time, in order to make sure our partners have resources available to us when it’s time.
- PLANNING, COORDINATING AND EXECUTING QA EFFORTS LEADING UP TO AND FOLLOWING RELEASE
- Coordinate and communicate with partners and individuals performing QA and making sure the activities are performed efficiently and that relevant data is collected.
- COORDINATION OF LOCALIZATION EFFORTS LEADING UP TO RELEASE
- Coordinate and communicate with partners performing Localization and making sure the work is performed efficiently and on time.
This might all look like a big list of responsibilities but the truth is that given the size of our studio our needs in certain areas differ very much on a periodic basis. As we get closer to release the need for Release and QA management (together with PR coordination) will be higher whereas everyday studio management will take more of a backseat. Earlier on in production however tasks more focused on studio management (such as office, HR and biz dev related tasks) will take up most of your time.
While it would be good for you to have experience in these areas, it is not a requirement. The most important thing is that you are used to working with a wide variety of tasks and are not afraid to learn new things.
We are not gonna lie. This position is not for everyone. We want a person who is driven, not afraid to take responsibility, loves to solve problems, and who is generally very creative. But if this fits your profile, then we promise you that working here will be an exhilarating experience. There will always be something to do and always new challenges at the horizon.
Still here? Apply to us at email@example.com today!
The last day to apply is the 26th of April.
9 Replies to “Hiring: Studio Manager”
That seems like a lot for one person to handle. Isn’t this kind of job fit for more than one person?
What Steve said.
What on earth is this.
You guys looking for a single parent?
I really don’t think they know what they are asking for, to be sure they just added everything.
That being said, if the previous person did all of this, why the heeeelllll did you ever let them leave??
You fired superman/wonderwoman????
I have 8 arms and I never sleep. Does this mean I’m in with a chance?
Woah, it’s like you’re asking for Tony Stark or something.
Don’t even THINK about it, Steve
While I am a famous polymath known for my skills at invention, drawing, painting, sculpture, architecture, science, music, mathematics, engineering, literature, anatomy, geology, astronomy, botany, paleontology, and cartography. I have doubted my set of skills would not be wide enough for the position as you described it.
I, therefore, would like to withdraw my application for the position of studio manager. I truly hope you will find someone more talented to fill the position.
Leonardo da Vinci
I don’t doubt anyone could do all of this. Well, I actually could do it. I know how to do all of those things.
But I doubt anyone alone would have the time to do it in a good way considering the planning that should go into every aspect.
Looks more like you are looking for a publisher? *hint* lots of us out there
Comments are closed.