Title: 3D Art Lead
Focus: Pipeline development, 3D modeling
Type: Full-time, permanent
Last day to apply: 8th of September 2019
Location: Sweden, applicants residing in European countries welcome
A door swings open, a dim light beckons you to come step further, pick up the dusty items, give them a long look before venturing forward, the architecture leading you ever deeper. Frictional’s games are filled with intrigue and emotion, the art subtly guiding the players. To keep up the illusion of a living world, the execution has to be consistent across the board.
This is where you come in.
What will you work on?
We are looking for an experienced 3D Art Lead to join Secret Project #2. This is a senior position, meaning you will have responsibility over foundational elements of the project. You will work closely with other team leads, such as the creative lead and art lead.
Right now Secret Project #2 is in pre-production, which means that you would find yourself working on establishing pipelines and practices for a good workflow. On the creative side you will be working within the established style of the game – creating art, researching and documenting. The 3D art you would work on include architecture and complicated props, as well as putting everything together into functional and beautiful environments..
Once the project shifts into production, your role will involve more lead work. You will find yourself communicating with other employees and outsourcers, making sure tasks get assigned and done, and giving feedback. Alongside you will still be able to participate in creating art.
As a small team, everyone in the company has a wide variety of responsibilities as well as rights, but we consider that our strength – no day in development will look the same!
What are we looking for?
You have to be a European (EU/EEA) resident to apply. We cannot consider other applicants.
The person we’re looking for is creative, self-motivated, and comfortable in a lead position. We need you to fulfill the essential requirements, but are flexible with how you have acquired your experience.
We welcome applicants regardless of background, situation, sexual orientation, religion, and similar, so don’t let anything like that hold you back from applying!
Here are the essential requirements:
- Knowledge in 3D asset creation pipelines in digital games
- Being up to date with the latest trends in 3D art tools and techniques
- Not being afraid to give feedback to coworkers and outsourcers
- Substance Designer skills in creating procedural textures
- Ability to adjust artwork based on an established art style
- Major role in at least one released title (not as a student/intern/trainee)
And here are some more technical skills:
- Experience with face weighted normals
- Experience with trim sheets and tiling textures
- Experience in Medium Poly Modeling
- Knowledge in Modo, or willingness to learn it as a main 3D modeling tool
- Some technical art knowledge (you will not have to create anything from scratch, but you should be able to communicate your needs to the programmers, or have suggestions such as saving performance on assets)
If you want to impress us:
- Experience with character art and/or organic art
- Knowledge in blendshapes
- Knowledge in motion capture
- Experience with scripting tools in Modo
- Experience with Marvelous Designer
- Experience in setting up lighting and doing basic level set dressing
- Love for hard sci-fi
- Penchant for bold design
What do we offer?
We at Frictional make games, because making games is what we love. But we know that’s not all there is – there’s also playing games, doing sports, or spending time with loved ones. We believe that a healthy balance between work and life creates positive ripples throughout, which is why we discourage crunch.
We also offer:
- Variety in tasks
- Opportunities to influence your workflow and workload
- Flexible working hours
- Participation in internal Show & Tell sessions for both projects, meaning giving feedback to and receiving feedback from all members of the projects
- An inclusive and respectful work environment
We welcome remote applicants from European (EU/EEA, UK) countries. However, you are welcome to join us in our office in Malmö if you live in the area, or would be willing to relocate after the trial period.
If all of the above piqued your interest, we would love to hear from you! Send us your application 8th of September 2019 the latest – but the sooner, the better! Please attach your:
- Cover letter
- Why should we hire YOU?
- Portfolio (link and/or PDF)
- Answers to preliminary questions (see below)
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Please note that we require all the attachments to consider you.
Please provide a document answering the following questions:
- When is the earliest you could start working?
- Tell us about the daily work you did on your last finished game project.
- Name two games you think have high quality 3D art. Explain why.
- Imagine you are in charge of the 3D art pipeline for a new sci-fi game. Name the top 3 things you think need to be included.
If you are not living in Sweden, please also answer the following:
- Do you have the ability to invoice?
- What kind of hardware do you have?
- What kind of internet connection do you have?