September is a meaningful month for Frictional Games, as it marks several of our anniversaries. This year on the 8th of September Amnesia: The Dark Descent will be turning 9, on 10th Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs will be 6 years old, and on 22nd SOMA will have been released for 4 years.
Therefore we would like to make this month special by celebrating your community creations. Please join us for Frictional’s Fan Jam of 2019!
We have recently launched an official Discord server, so you are welcome to ask questions, share ideas, and chat with other participants in the #fan_jam channel.
The goal is to create a new fan work related to one of Frictional’s games: SOMA, Amnesia games and the Penumbra series, or older titles such as Unbirth. You are free to create any transformative work: a mod, fanart and fanfiction, cosplay, or something different like a video or a plushie. The project should be at least loosely related to the given theme.
Since some projects (for example mods) can require more effort than others, you are also welcome to participate in teams.
Please see submission guidelines below!
The event kicks off on Friday the 6th of September. The deadline for submissions is 23:59 UTC on Sunday the 22nd of September. The jury will be going through submissions starting Monday the 23rd.
The jury of Frictional Games employees and Frictional Games Discord moderation team will pick the winners of the jam. Jury members can participate in the event, but are disqualified from winning.
The winners will receive a poster of a game of their choosing, signed by the Frictional team members, sent to their home address (teams can decide on one address, max 4 prizes per team). The Frictional Team will also be featuring the works on a video with comments from Thomas and other employees. And finally – upon release of the next game, the winners will receive download codes for the game on an available platform of their choosing.
The jam is organised by Frictional Game’s community manager Kira together with the moderation team of the official Discord server, proposed and drafted by Draugemalf. The easiest way to contact the organisers is on the Frictional Games Discord server’s #fan_jam channel. The channel can also be used to share ideas with other community members, get feedback and look for team members.
If you don’t have a Discord account, you are also welcome to contact Frictional Games through Twitter or our Contact Form, and we will help you as soon as we can.
- The works must be related to one or more of Frictional’s games (SOMA, Amnesia: TDD, Amnesia: AMFP, Penumbra, and Unbirth, Fiend, Energetic)
- The works must be at least loosely related to the the thematic of Autumn/Decay
- The creation must be submitted on 22nd of September the latest
- The work must be your or your team’s original creation
- For mods you are free to use assets you can legally use, or have the permission to use from the creators
Submitting your work
You can submit your works through several channels, either by posting an image (for fanart, cosplay and similar) and/or a link (mods, fanfiction and similar).
- On Discord, you can share the project on the #fan_jam channel. Please make it clear that it’s your final version.
- On Twitter and Tumblr, you should mention @frictionalgames and tag the submission with #FrictionalFanJam.
- If you don’t have a social media account, please send your submission to email@example.com with the title “Frictional Fan Jam”.
- Due to Instagram and Facebook’s limited searching and tagging tools, we will not be accepting submissions through those platforms.
- All submissions will be posted by the jury on Discord’s #fan_jam_showcase channel for easier judging.
And that’s it! Go get creative! We’re looking forward to all your great projects!
If you have any questions, just let us know.
Cover image courtesy of Newsman Waterpaper and their mod The Streets of London.