Title: Tech Lead
Focus: Engine and tools
Type: Full-time, permanent
Last day to apply: The position is closed.
Location: Sweden, applicants residing in European countries welcome
Tired of the constraints of Unity, Unreal and other big engines? Want to be in control and get down into the nitty gritty of engine coding? Come join us at Frictional Games, one of the few companies that still makes their own tech, and get all up in our HPL engine!
What will you work on?
We are looking for a Tech Lead. You will have a major part in forming tech and the workflow for our upcoming projects. You will work closely with other team leads, such as the creative lead, art lead and design lead, and a small team of tech programmers who will help develop the engine.
You will help a project smoothly transition into pre-production, production and then launch.
At the early stages of pre-production you work with prototyping and help the team quickly test their ideas.
During pre-production you will develop new tech and tools that will be used by the project. You would be working with low-level systems such as IO, AI, rendering, scripting, sound and physics and create user friendly UI.
You will develop effective pipelines that make good use of the engine and tools and document those features.
Once the project shifts into production you will:
- Make sure tech tasks are assigned and done
- Benchmark and optimize the engine
- Act as internal support for any tech related questions
What are we looking for?
You have to be a EU/EEA/UK resident to apply.
The person we’re looking for is creative, driven and self-sufficient.
Here are some essential skills we require:
- Well-versed in C++ or similar
- Knowledge in AngelScript, Python, Lua, or similar
- Knowledge in OpenGL, Vulkan, or DirectX
- You have created an engine or tools for development for at least one game
- Strong low-level programming skills
- Good linear algebra knowledge
- Knowledge in working with Widgets / Custom GUI
- Fluency in English
- Skills in team communication and support
These will be considered a plus:
- Love for tech and messing with the low level parts of the engine
- Passion for UX design
- Worked with data oriented design and decoupling
- Experience with third party engines likes PhysX, Wwise, FMod or similar
- Worked with PS4, XBO or Switch SDKs
- Keeps up to date with the latest developments in game tech
- You live in Sweden
Requirements if you are applying for the position remotely and not for the Malmö office:
- A Windows PC that runs recent games (such as SOMA)
- A fast and stable internet connection.
What do we offer?
We are a small team, which means you will be able to work on a wide variety of things and contribute to our future games in a meaningful way.
We also believe a healthy balance between work and life reflects positively on your work. We offer a variety of perks for our full-time employees, especially those who live in or relocate to Sweden. We also don’t encourage crunch.
Here’s what we offer:
- Flexible working hours
- Opportunities to influence your workflow
- Variety in your work tasks, and ability to influence your workload
- Participation in our internal game Show & Tell sessions, so you’ll have input into all aspects of the game
- Social security and holidays that are up to the Swedish standards
- An inclusive and respectful work environment
- An office in central Malmö you can use as much as you please
- Fun workmates, game and movie nights, and other outings!
How to apply?
Did the position pique your interest? Are you the person we’re looking for? Then we would love to hear from you!
Please note that the application period will be ongoing until we find the right person for the position. Therefore it might take some time for us to reply to your message.
Please send us your:
- Cover letter (why you should work with us, what do you bring to the table)
- Portfolio (or links to your works)
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Please note that we require all attachments to consider you.