I recently implemented SSAO which the acronym for “Screen Space Ambient Occlusion”, which in turn is a way of simulating ambient occlusion in screen space.
Hi there, this is Luis, writing my first work log entry. In case you didn’t know, I’m the other coder here at Frictional, and it was about time I dropped by here and say something about work.
Normally you only hear about various graphical effect problems and issues regarding 3D engines. In this log I want to highlight a few other problem many 3D engine builder face, but you do not hear about as much.
This time I have finally implemented the single largest change in design for the new engine – the Viewport. The last engine really only had one world and one camera that could be active for the frame to be rendered and this was something I wanted to change for HPL2.
The texture atlas was one of the first thing that I implemented in the engine. It was actually something I started working on the day work started for Energetic, which also means the code is a bit messy 😀 So I decided an update was needed.
This is the first post in our brand new Work Log subforum, which is going to act as a sort of blog where we show of how work progress on our upcoming projects! Hope you will enjoy it!
One of the main features in Penumbra: Black Plague is the physics. This is a feature that adds a lot of immersion and gives new opportunities for gameplay. However, it has not been without problems to implement it and that is what we will focus on in this diary entry. We will go through some of the different problems we encountered and explain how we solved them.