Title: Tools programmer
Type: Full-time, permanent
Last day to apply: 30th of October 2018
Tired of the constraints of Unity, Unreal and other big engines? Want to be in control and get down into the nitty gritty of engine coding? Come join us at Frictional Games, one of the few companies that still makes their own tech, and get all up in our HPL engine!
We are now expanding our tech team and looking for a tools programmer who will help make the HPL engine better, prettier, and more intuitive. Your work on the engine will be crucial to the rest of the team, but it will also be seen by our modding community.
The position is full-time and permanent. Ideally we would help you relocate to Malmö, Sweden to be close to our core team, but this is not a necessity.
What will you work on?
As a tools programmer, you will be working together with a small tech team that is mainly responsible for our HPL engine, but also tech support for the games.
Here are some of the things you will find yourself working on:
- Creating and maintaining the level editor for our proprietary engine
- Making intuitive user interfaces
- Creating small specialised tools
- Working with low-level systems such as IO, AI, rendering, sound, and physics
- Working with Xbox and PlayStation versions, as well as possible future platforms
- Internal support for a team of developers
- Post-launch support.
We also encourage working outside of your area of expertise, and always learning new things. The more areas of development you are willing and able take part in, the better!
What are we looking for?
You have to be a EU/EEA resident to apply.
The person we’re looking for is creative, driven and self-sufficient.
Here are some essential skills we require:
- Well-versed in C++, C#, Java, or similar
- Knowledge in AngelScript, Python, Lua, or similar
- You have created an engine or tools for development for at least one game
- Strong low-level programming skills
- Familiar with linear algebra
- Knowledge in working with Widgets / Custom GUI
- Fluency in English
- Skills in team communication and support
- A Windows PC that runs recent games (such as SOMA) that you can use for work (unless you live in Malmö and will work from the office)
- A fast and stable internet connection.
These will be considered a plus:
- Experience in engine development
- Skills in 3D modelling or texture applications
- Knowledge in UX design
- Lover for tech and messing with the low level parts of the engine
- Excitement for creating fast pipelines and making it easy to create awesome art
- You live in Sweden.
What do we offer?
We are a small team, which means you will be able to work on a wide variety of things and contribute to our future games in a meaningful way.
We also believe a healthy balance between work and life reflects positively on your work. We offer a variety of perks for our full-time employees, especially who live in or relocate to Sweden. We also don’t encourage crunch.
Here’s what we offer:
- Flexible working hours
- Opportunities to influence your workflow
- Variety in your work tasks, and ability to influence your workload
- Participation in our internal game Show & Tell sessions, so you’ll have input into all aspects of the game
- Social security and holidays that are up to the Swedish standards
- An inclusive and respectful work environment
- An office in central Malmö you can use as much as you please
- Fun workmates, game and movie nights, and other outings!
How to apply?
Did the position pique your interest? Are you the person we’re looking for? Then we would love you hear from you!
We will be looking at applications until 30th of October 2018.
Please send us your:
- Cover letter (why you should work with us, what do you bring to the table)
- Portfolio (or links to your works)