Title: Gameplay Programmer
Focus: Scripting and coding to implement gameplay systems in our games.
Type: Full time permanent position
Last day to apply: Ongoing, we will close the ad when we find someone, but there is no end date
Location: Remote or in Malmö office
The bread-and-butter of our games, their inner workings, the code that makes the magic happen; These are all important parts we need your help. Build exciting gameplay moments in our games, using your technical prowess and understanding of gameplay and game-feel to code and script within our engine. You are our new gameplay programmer, and we are looking forward to working with you!
What will you work on?
You will work directly in our development team and with our creative director to code and implement gameplay and systems in our game. In production, you will have a lot of freedom and creative impact to solve problems and explore game design ideas from a technical standpoint – it’s important to have a feel for the experience you are creating.
A core feature of our games are atmospheric and immersive game worlds. You will be crafting these in collaboration with other members of the team, making sure that gameplay is smooth, that narrative works and that the right themes are evoked.
Even though we are a small team, and you will have to be prepared for a great variety of tasks, your main focus will be:
- Conceptualizing, designing and handling gameplay mechanics.
- Coding and implementing gameplay systems and features utilizing AngelScript and occasionally C++ in our proprietary engine (HPL).
- Evaluating and iterating over gameplay, AI, physics interactions, character movement, UI, audio etc.
- Scripting and implementing scenarios so they fit with gameplay, world and story.
- Work cross-disciplinary to solve a wide variety of tech oriented tasks.
What are we looking for?
Everyone in CET±2 hours time zones are welcome to apply. If you want to relocate to Sweden, you have to be a EU/EEA resident.
The person we’re looking for is technical, creative, driven, self-sufficient, and a problem solver. As a gameplay programmer at Frictional, a good understanding for game design is paramount, and experience in gameplay design is preferred. Being a remote team such as ours, organizing your own work and communicating clearly with the rest of the team are fundamental skills we require. This is not a job where you work and tinker independently at your own pace – interacting and communicating with others to solve problems and create fantastic experiences is essential to this role.
We welcome applicants regardless of background, situation, sexual orientation, religion, and similar, so don’t let anything like that hold you back from applying!
Here are some essential skills we require:
- Experience as a gameplay programmer on at least one 3D game using either AngelScript, C#, C++ or equivalent. Hobby projects also count as relevant experience.
- A good understanding of and feel for gameplay design.
- Understanding of how different technical implementations affect the player experience.
- A critical approach to your work, where you think things through, reflect and improve.
- Ability to challenge yourself and tackle new obstacles head-on.
- A strive for structure, efficiency, and clarity.
- Interest in, and ability to do, research for interesting gameplay solutions.
- Ability to plan, structure and prioritize your own time and schedule
- Love for working on a variety of tasks.
- Good communication skills.
- Fluency in English.
Here are some hardware essentials if you choose to work from home part of the entirety of the time:
- A Windows PC that runs AAA games that came out the last few years on high quality settings + all equipment needed to operate and work on the computer.
- A fast and stable internet connection
If you really want to impress us:
- You have been responsible for major parts of a released game’s gameplay programming from the beginning of its development until it was released.
- You have experience working with first person 3D games.
These things will be considered a plus:
- You live in Sweden. Especially a plus if you live in or around Malmö.
- Deeper game design skills.
- You have an understanding of game feel.
What do we offer?
We are a small team, which means you will be able to work on a wide variety of things and contribute to our future games in a meaningful way.
We also believe a healthy balance between work and life reflects positively on your work. We offer a variety of perks for our full-time employees, especially those who live in or relocate to Sweden. We also don’t encourage crunch.
Here’s what we offer:
- Relocation support to Malmö if you would like to move here
- Flexibility if you need to go to the doctor or other appointments during work hours
- Opportunities to influence your workflow
- Variety in your work tasks, and ability to influence your workload
- Flexibility to work from home if you want to
- Participation in our internal game Show & Tell sessions, so you’ll have input into all aspects of the game
- Social security and holidays that are up to the Swedish standards
- An inclusive and respectful work environment
- An office in central Malmö you can use as much as you please
- Fun workmates, game and movie nights, and other outings
How to apply?
Did the position pique your interest? Are you the person we’re looking for? Then we would love to hear from you!
Please note that the application period will be ongoing until we find the right person for the position. Therefore it might take some time for us to reply to your message.
Please send us your:
- Cover letter (why you should work with us, what do you bring to the table)
- Portfolio (or links to your works)
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org