—THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED—
Title: 3D Character Artist
Focus: 3D character creation and pipeline development
Last day to apply:
We are in the process of starting on characters for the new game, so the sooner the better, but we don’t have a set end day
Location: Sweden, applicants residing in European countries only
A door swings open, a figure stands in the shadow, beckoning you to come closer. With a tortured expression in its face, it leans in and whispers you secrets from a bygone age. Frictional’s games are filled with intrigue and emotion, the art subtly guiding the players. To keep up the illusion of a living world, the execution has to be consistent across the board.
This is where you come in.
What will you work on?
We are looking for an experienced 3D Character artist to join our next Secret Project. This is a senior position as our first in-house character artist, meaning you will have responsibility over foundational elements of the project. You will work closely with team leads, such as the creative lead and art leads, to realize our game’s characters.
Right now the Secret Project is in pre-production, which means that you would find yourself working on establishing pipelines and practices for a good workflow. On the creative side you will be working within the established style of the game – creating art, researching and documenting.
Once we hit production your focus will be on creating our main cast of characters and creatures as well as preparing them for other parts of development further down the pipeline.
As a small team, everyone in the company has a wide variety of responsibilities as well as rights, but we consider that our strength – no day in development will look the same!
What are we looking for?
You have to be a European (EU/EEA) resident to apply. We cannot consider other applicants.
The person we’re looking for is creative, self-motivated, and comfortable in a senior position. We need you to fulfill the essential requirements, but are flexible with how you have acquired your experience.
We welcome applicants regardless of background, situation, sexual orientation, gender, religion, and similar, so don’t let anything like that hold you back from applying!
Here are the essential requirements:
- Knowledge in 3D asset creation pipelines in digital games
- Knowledge in Zbrush or a comparable sculpting software.
- Being up to date with the latest trends in 3D art tools and techniques
- Not being afraid to give feedback to coworkers and outsourcers
- Substance Painter for creating high quality textures (or comparable software)
- Marvellous Designer skills for the creation of clothing (or comparable software)
- Experience with creating realistic hair for games or real time
- Ability to adapt to an established art style, as well as innovate new styles and techniques
- Major role in at least one released title (not as a student/intern/trainee)
And here are some more technical skills:
- Experience with converting high poly sculpts to a game ready state
- Experience in Medium Poly Modeling
- Some technical art knowledge (you will not have to create anything from scratch, but you should be able to communicate your needs to the programmers, or have suggestions such as saving performance on assets)
If you want to impress us:
- Knowledge in rigging
- Knowledge in blendshapes
- Knowledge in motion capture
- Experience with face weighted normals
- Experience with trim sheets and tiling textures
- Experience with props and architecture (hard surface)
- Love for hard sci-fi
- Penchant for bold design
What do we offer?
We at Frictional make games, because making games is what we love. But we know that’s not all there is – there’s also playing games, doing sports, or spending time with loved ones. We believe that a healthy balance between work and life creates positive ripples throughout, which is why we discourage crunch.
We also offer:
- Variety in tasks
- Opportunities to influence your workflow and workload
- Flexible working hours
- Social security and holidays that are up to Swedish standards
- Participation in internal Show & Tell sessions for both projects, meaning giving feedback to and receiving feedback from all members of the projects
- An inclusive and respectful work environment
We welcome remote applicants from European (EU/EEA) countries. However, you are welcome to join us in our office in Malmö if you live in the area, or would be willing to relocate after the trial period (in which case we help out with relocation).
If all of the above piqued your interest, we would love to hear from you! Send us your application – the sooner, the better! Please attach your:
- Cover letter
- Why should we hire YOU?
- Portfolio (link and/or PDF)
- Answers to preliminary questions (see below)
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Please note that we require all the attachments to consider you.
Please provide a document answering the following questions:
- When is the earliest you could start working?
- Tell us about the daily work you did on your last finished game project.
- Name two games you think have high quality 3D art. Explain why.
- Imagine you are in charge of the 3D character art pipeline for a new sci-fi game. Name the top 3 things you think need to be included.
If you are not living in Sweden, please also answer the following:
- Do you have the ability to invoice?
- What kind of hardware do you have?
- What kind of internet connection do you have?